Friday, June 7, 2013

Lady B with Pug


The lovely, lazy Lady B with her pug, from the '99 movie adaptation, of which I have not seen. "The heat was enough to kill any body. It was as much as I could bear myself. Sitting and calling to Pug, and trying to keep him from the flower-beds, was almost too much for me" (59).

I love Lady Bertram: The exchange between Edmund and his mother on whether or not Fanny should go to the Grant's for dinner made me laugh; it was so delightful (170). She is completely spacey and fabulous. I am convinced she was on some kind of narcotic, because no one is that comatose.

Also, I'm a sucker for a wife with an ugly dog, like the German and her bulldog in Katherine Anne Porter's Ship of Fools. Deferred affection?

1 comment:

  1. William Deresiewicz says Lady Bertram is "as lovely, energetic, and intelligent as an expensive throw pillow." Gilbert and Gubar, in Madwoman in the Attic, describe her as "corpselike." Yikes.

    ReplyDelete