Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Jane Austen Spring Gala and the Beginning

Today at work a customer noticed I was reading Pride and Prejudice. I suddenly became very uncomfortable as I blabbered about how much I loved Austen and how great the Austen Spring Gala was yesterday and Amy Patterson's inspiring talk on the Darcy Character in film.

I had never felt exposed the way I did then, talking about Austen surrounded by dildos. Though I talk about sex toys all the time with total strangers, I had never talked about Austen, an author I love partially for her un-visceral quality.

She said she loved Austen, too, which surprised me, I don't know why. I thought she had been judging me but the whole time she was agreeing. She said: "But who doesn't love Austen?" and I countered with; "Some people think she's dull and unoriginal," or some other equally unfounded statement. She responded: "That's because she started everything. She wrote the screenplay for every romantic comedy ever."

Funny, because though Austen is so associated with romance, that's not why I love her.

After work I went to a bookstore, where an enthusiastic young lady helped me choose two books on reading Austen. People who love Austen love Austen. I could've bought them yesterday, but instead I got Austen-inspired postcards and decided to be responsible and save my money.

Until today, when I bought coffee and a cinnamon roll and then spent thirty dollars on books. I just deferred my impulse buying.

To make it worth it, I'm going to devote this summer to Jane Austen.

No, but seriously. I am.

5 comments:

  1. Michael, which book of Austen's should a neophyte begin with? Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pride and Prejudice is a real delight, and is a good example of her wit and keen social observances.

      Northanger Abbey is another of my favorites; it's a satire on the gothic romance novels. I gave a copy to Mom, so you all have it on the bookshelf!

      Delete
  2. Michael! How awesome! And it makes me selfishly happy, because now I will have a reason to be competitive & get my own draft blogs finished up & posted. I've got one sitting there stewing right now about Mr Collins... some interesting stuff.

    There is another fantastic blog - I quoted it in my talk - it's written by Sarah Emsley, who I believe taught at Harvard? Anyway, it's easy to find: www.sarahemsley.com. She has a post there about Mr Collins as well (I swear, she's in my brain or something) and in it she links to an old Persuasions article (the JASNA journal) about Mr Collins & sex. I thought you would like that! Here's her Mr Collins post: http://sarahemsley.com/2013/04/25/charlotte-collins-how-could-you/, and if you want to read the sex one scroll down to the link “Sleeping with Mr. Collins” in Persuasions 22."

    ReplyDelete
  3. goals are good, i applaud you brother. let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael...Maggie from Antje's postcolonial class. I am so excited to read your blog! I mean how can it not be fascinating, reading and talking about Austen in a sex toys world. I've only read P&P and Emma, but I enjoyed them for similar reasons. There's something comforting about them. Life gets real, but not in a overly horrific way. At least that I'm aware of.

    Perhaps this will motivate me to read more Austen, always good. I spent a summer each on both books, so we'll see if I read any faster. Probs not, but best of luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete